Saturday, April 17, 2010

Talking Point #9

"the individual is prior to society, which comes into existence only through the voluntary contract of individuals trying to maximize their own self-interest"

This is a very powerful quote I feel. What it is saying (in my opinion) is that an individual starts off with their own unique qualities (etc) but to be accepted into society, they voluntarily pick up other qualities to "maximize their own self-interest" and fit into society. (please let me know if I am way off)

"we have got to learn to get along as individuals and as citizens"

I completely agree, a lot can be accomplished if we could just get along. There are many conflicts, such things include unnecessary violence and stealing and wars, countless things really. If all of that could just go away then we could stop worrying about our defenses and armies and instead deal with our other problems, like those facing our schools.

"community acceptance requires opportunity for individual participation in the group, but opportunity cannot exist outside of community acceptance."

It is true, if you are not accepted by a group then you are basically a shadow, an outcast. This may not be true for everyone, but for the most part those who are alone are usually lonesome or maybe even depressed. Therefore people need to be given the opportunity to be part of the group, or else it will never happen on their own doing. So if you see someone sitting alone with no one to talk to, go say hi and invite them to do something, it could make their day and also some confidence.

I found this article to be very interesting. I personally have no real experience with Down syndrome individuals because probably like Kliewer said, they are separated early from main stream society and therefore I would have no real opportunity to see them. The only view toward Down syndrome individuals is through the media, which talk about shows like Family Guy that give Down syndrome individuals a bad reputation. Back in high school I did notice Down syndrome students walking around the hallway but there were no real opportunities to get to know them.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think you are off at all with your first quote. I think that it's quite powerful and you are exactly right with your explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how simple your second quote is. It is so true. If it were only that easy everything would be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your second quote so simple and perfect. I don't understand why it is so hard but it seems to be impossible.

    ReplyDelete