Sunday, April 11, 2010

Talking Point #8

"The observer did not hear the terms dividend, quotient, and so on, used again."

I can imagine this can be very frustrating. I know in most of my classes that if a word or concept isn't mashed into my brain over and over then I will never remember that word or concept. Then it appears again and it feels like it is my first time seeing it. For most of my classes I could not tell you one thing that we learned in the beginning of the semester, it's just impossible. So yes there is a poster in the class that shows you all of the answers, but now they rely on that poster to remember how to do things and without it they are hopeless. If you take down that poster, then your essentially removing the only source of information on that topic from the class.



"Their work should be "verified" by a classmate before it is handed in."

I really hate when you have to do this. One of the main reasons is because some people are able to give useful feedback and are helpful and others are not. Plus it makes it awkward for the person who feels that they did a bad job, because they now have someone reading their bad work and making judgements on their intelligence. Also this could promote laziness to the completion of the assignment. Someone could put minimal effort into something and then hope that their classmate will fix it and do it correctly for them.



"Schoolwork helps one to achieve, to exel, and to prepare for life."

This quote is reguarding the Executive Elit Schools. Just reading about the executive elit schools its no wonder that the children of executives usually follow in their parents footsteps. The education that they recieve is much more rigerous and thoughtful then any of the others. These types of schools aim to make their students the best of the best, and im sure that they usually prevail. Where as the other schools for the most part just dump information on their students and hope that they grasp some of what they learn.

In general this article was very extensive and there was not much to get out of it. I suppose I could now say I know what type of schools do such and such styles of teaching and where my child would be best off going to school. I also understand that working class schools dont actually teach they just sort of convey information and hope it sticks instantly. Unfortunately there is no repetition or rewards so there is little learning and no rewards for those who do try. Those with more power get the better education and usually follow in the footsteps of their parents. But in reality I believe that it's what you make of a school that gets you to be successful. It may be harder for those who dont have good teachers but it is still possible if parents play a key role in motivating their children to strive for success and to do great things.

No comments:

Post a Comment