Saturday, March 27, 2010

Tim Wise Response

It was interesting doing a video blog instead of reading an article, I like it better actually. There are two things that I could easily take from the first part of the video. One is that these men really do not like Bush. Now I don't follow politics all that much but I'm sure Bush wasn't that bad where they can say that any black person would have been a better candidate. Other than that, the other thing that I noticed was that they keep setting Obama as the ultimate black person, I mean I know that the book is called Between Barack and a Hard Place but still. It is hard enough to be the president so maybe they could have used an example of a position that is a little more achievable. They did mention being a hip-hop artist or basketball player, but then I believe they said it was degrading or as good as it gets for most black people, I don't think its true. And if a black person is a basketball player or a hip-hop artist, that doesn't mean they gave up and that's the best they can do, they do it because they are passionate about it and want to write music or play the sport that they are good at.

Then in the second video they started talking about talking about all the stereo types that black people have against them. Like that "they don't work as hard, more aggressive, uneducated" and then he says that some say that blacks don't care and just live off of welfare because its just easier. How could someone say something like that, I am almost sure that no one wants to be so low that they are satisfied with living off of welfare. The reason why there are people on welfare is because they cant get a job because it is usually much more difficult for a black person to get a job than a white person. Wise even said that the number of black people on welfare is lower than the number of white people.

2 comments:

  1. I liked the video better than reading myself as well. You are certainly right in saying these two, or at least the interviewer hated Bush. It was a little humorous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did they mention that any black person would be a better candidate than Bush? I think I missed it.

    But yes, that is definitely not true. I'm about as left-wing as one can get and I would never say that. Most people, no matter what ethnicity they are would not be a better candidate than George Bush. I mean, how many of us have the experience of governing the second most populous state in the country?

    ReplyDelete