Thursday, February 18, 2010

Rodriguez Response

Interesting, it's good to finally look at society and the topics that we face in this class from someone who isn't white. I can only imagine how difficult it is to grow up in a place where you dont speak the launguage of the public. It would sound like a bunch of noise, and I'd panic if I was being spoken to. Then the nuns were angry that he wouldn't just speak perfect english! I'm sorry but learning a new language doesn't just happen over night. Makes it sound like he was a problem child. I felt so bad as he started to learn english and the families closeness slowely diminished. When he was first describing them they were so happy and got along very nicely, next thing you know they are hardly talking and Rodriguez addresses his parents only with eye contact. I mean all families grow seperately as they get older, but they are all still young. Just taking away the language the family spoke took away their whole culture, the whole togetherness of the family. His dad only seems happy when he's talking to his family in spanish. Finally, I totally get the end of this article. Where he mentions how not only was his private individuality lost but also his public individuality. No one looks at him the same way, neither him or his family.

3 comments:

  1. I have not read either article yet but based on this response, I am intrigued by this article because, as you pointed out, it is not written by a white person. It will be interesting to read this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate, I too wonder how difficult it would be to grow up in a place where the people did not speak my language. I would also panic because I would be totally lost in the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its weird how learning another language can change a person's life; and everyone's around him. I just wish that the family could of learned English together so that they could of all been succesful and confident in the society of which they lived; this way they would still have a great family bond.

    ReplyDelete